There is a condition in which changes are observed in the brain. When one type of dementia exists, the occurrence of these changes can result in another challenge. This hints at what mixed dementia is. Prabhi Sodhi views that when 2 such conditions exist together, more symptoms can emerge. Even one form of this disorder can negatively impact a person’s health. Prabhi Sodhi in United Kingdom is known as Prabhdyal Singh Sodhi, Prabhy Sodhi and Praby Sodhi.
The given 2 conditions by Prabhdyal Singh Sodhi are coexisting, the impact can be greater. Hence, recognizing the signs of this problem is vital. It is equally important to know how such a challenging condition should be managed to help patients.
Which Symptoms Can Emerge during Mixed Dementia?
It is important to know that the symptoms of this condition can emerge as per the changes happening in the brain. Or, they can occur depending on the parts of this organ that are getting affected.
- According to Prabhy Sodhi, the symptoms are similar to Alzheimer’s.
- A person can experience the signs of other types of dementia too.
- From one case to another, they can vary.
Prabhi Sodhi Describes 2 Types of this Disorder
In this condition, symptoms of more than one disorder can exist. Commonly, there are 2 types. When the signs have to be further understood, these types should be looked at. In the following combinations, depending on which dementia is predominant, changes can occur in the body.
1. LBD and Alzheimer’s Disease
This type of disorder may not be frequently observed. It comprises the combination of Alzheimer’s with LBD, says Prabhi Sodhi.
Less often, dementia can be caused by a mixture of Alzheimer’s disease and Lewy body dementia. During this, combined conditions of pathology take place. These can be due to:
- Amyloid proteinopathies
The dementia specialist, Mr. Sodhi puts forth that an individual can experience the following in this disorder:
- Changes can occur in the thinking pattern.
- Hallucinations and delusions can happen.
- Memory problems may emerge such as not remembering where items have been kept.
- Movement can become sluggish or daily-life tasks may be completed very slowly.
2. Alzheimer’s and Vascular Dementia
Coming to the second type of this condition, the mixture involves vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s. When Alzheimer’s occurs, certain proteins begin to develop. They collect in the brain as well as around its cells. These are the cells responsible for memory processes.
In this condition, the blood supply to this organ can get affected, as is opined by Mr. Sodhi. This can make way for mixed dementia. It may also be affected by these:
- The worsening of blood vessels
When these two types coexist, the supply of blood can be problematic. Due to this, a person’s brain may not receive an adequate amount of oxygen. Not only this but the requirement for nutrients may also not be fulfilled.
What Causes the Development of this Disorder?
Identifying what causes mixed dementia is not easy. Although it can be diagnosed, Prabhi Sodhi observes that determining the exact factor may remain a challenge. Nevertheless, certain things can cause this disorder to develop.
- Old age is one possible reason that can lead to this health challenge.
- Damages to the blood vessels present in a person’s brain indicate the next factor.
- Those who have high blood pressure levels can be at risk.
Aside from these, there can be certain risk factors too. They will depend on the type of this disorder. Their presence can increase the deterioration of this condition.
Types of Treatment Available for this Condition
For various types of dementia, a specific cure may not be available as of now. Treatment can be accessed for mixed dementia. But it may not aim at fully healing the condition. When it comes to treating it, Prabhi Sodhi shares that 2 approaches can be relied on. They include the use of medicine and therapies.
1. Opting for Therapies
Some therapies have been devised to ease the challenges in the lives of dementia patients. Although they don’t directly contribute to their treatment, they make it easier to overcome their struggles. Eventually, this approach can help in bringing improvement in these individuals.
Praby Sodhi believes that the therapies listed as follows can help:
- Treatment for behavior
- Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy or CRT
- CST or Cognitive Stimulation Therapy
- RT/Reminiscence Therapy
- Techniques for enhancing memory or dealing with its loss
- Physiotherapy to manage movement-related challenges
2. Using Prescribed Medicine
Certain medicines are available to manage the symptoms of this disorder. They may not entirely eliminate them. However, these drugs can focus on their intensity and try to make them less severe.
Cholinesterase is an important part of medication in some cases. Its functions are as follows:
- It increases certain chemical levels in a patient’s brain.
- This improves communication between some cells.
Other drugs can be prescribed as per the symptoms of mixed dementia. Since the types can vary, medicine is suggested in accordance with these.
Other Ways to Manage Mixed Dementia
Completely or only relying on the medicine may not be effective in every case. According to the dementia specialist, Praby Sodhi caregivers can implement measures to increase the chances of improvement. Or, to reduce the risk of the condition, they can help.
Here are 8 ways in which this type of disorder can be managed:
- Focus on physical activities for cardiac improvement.
- Be a part of social activities to reduce or avoid depression and loneliness.
- Cut down habits that induce risks like smoking and alcohol.
- For cardiovascular health, improve diet.
- Engage in intellectual activities for better cognition.
- Anything that triggers stress should be avoided.
- Ensure that the sleep cycle is maintained.
- Maintain consistency in these measures for greater effectiveness.
Mixed dementia may be rare. But as a person moves toward old age, its risk can increase. Hence, as per specialists like Prabhi Sodhi, it is important to be aware of this health challenge. Family members should be careful about the development and manifestation of the symptoms discussed. The sooner they are noticed, the quicker they should be in opting for medical assistance.